If you are having a hard time launching the Steam version of Forza Horizon 4 on PC or are experiencing random crashes constantly, please attempt all steps given below.
The Steam version of Forza Horizon 4 is crashing or not launching for a lot of Steam users
[Note : All the methods mentioned in this article have been suggested by the developers of Forza Horizon 4 only. I would have normally tried these methods myself. But I haven’t witnessed any issue with my copy yet.]
Forza Horizon 4 – Minimum System Requirements
The game’s minimum requirements are:
- OS: Windows 10
- RAM: 8 GB
- CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 or higher.
- GPU: Nvidia GTX 650Ti or AMD R7 250X.
The recommended system requirements are:
- OS: Windows 10
- RAM: 12 GB
- CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 or higher.
- GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 or AMD R9 290X.
If you have an on-board graphics processor be sure to set priority to PCI-E > PCI > Integrated Graphics / Integrated GPU in BIOS.
Log in to Windows 10 with a local Administrator Account. This fixes the majority of cases reported
Check for Updates to Windows 10
Always ensure that you have the latest updates to Windows 10 by clicking Start and typing ‘Updates’ in the search box.
Here is the updated Windows assistant: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant
Once you’ve updated, perform a complete shutdown and restart your machine.
Conflicts due to Software
The game does not explicitly support and may even see certain applications/software as a conflict or threat and as such refuse to run, or run with crashes.
Disable ALL background software or applications including, Antivirus, Firewalls, and any FPS boosting or monitoring software.
Forza Horizon 4 will not boot if you are using any of the following virus checkers.
- Trend Micro Maximum Security
- Comodo Antivirus
- Bitdefender Firewall
The following list of software applications can cause Forza Horizon 4 to either fail to launch or crash while playing. Please make sure you either disable or uninstall to ensure successful gameplay.
- Logitech G Hub
- MSI Afterburner / Riva Tuner Statistics Server
- EVGA Precision
- Warsaw Banking App
- Wallpaper Engine
- A-Volute Sound studio
- Nahimic Audio
- Sonic Audio
If you are using OBS, Xsplit, or any other streaming programs, please set your source to display capture.
I would suggest disabling Game Mode in Windows and close any overclocking, hardware monitoring, streaming, recording, and any nonessential apps while you play the game.
Turn Off Windows Defender
- Open Start.
- Open Settings
- Click Update & Security
- Click Windows Security. This tab is in the upper-left side of the window.
- Click Virus & threat protection
- Click Virus & threat protection settings
- Disable Windows Defender’s real-time scanning
- Set game priority to high
- Turn off any overlays
Install the latest Microsoft Visual Studio
Please try downloading and installing the latest version of Visual C++ redistributable, as there’s a chance it hasn’t been installed correctly.
Turn off any extra Power monitoring software
- MSI DragonCenter
- Gamefast from Dells Killer Control Center
- Any software installed that may be adjusting or monitoring power settings
Then, make sure your Power settings are correct
- Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options
- Change to High Performance
- Perform a Full Shutdown (not restart).
Hang or Crash when suspending and Resuming [Windows 10]
Make sure you have not disabled Forza Horizon 4 as a background app.
- Click the Windows button on your PC
- Open Privacy
- Scroll down to Background Apps on the left-hand side.
- Scroll down to Forza Horizon 4 and select the slider to turn it ON.
Make Sure the Time/Date on your PC is Correct
- Right-click on the clock on your start menu.
- Select Adjust Date/Time.
- Untick then retick ‘Set time zone automatically.’
- Reboot your PC.
The game may have encountered an issue with a recent update (Windows, Drivers, Content) and refuses run with crashes or missing updates.
- Ensure you have the MOST recent Windows 10 update
- Make sure your Graphics Card is updated with the latest patch, after Windows update.
- Reset Store and Application – Windows>Settings>Applications>title>Advanced Options>Reset
- Full re-installation of the title.
VR/Windows Mixed Reality Headsets
The developers are currently investigating an issue regarding Forza Horizon 4 crashing when using VR/Windows Mixed Reality Headsets. Please make sure you have these unplugged when attempting to launch and play Forza Horizon 4.
If you think this guide had helped you then let us know in the comment section below. And for more Forza Horizon 4 guides, keep an eye on Frondtech. Good luck!
That’s all folks!
Last Updated on March 16, 2021
Shoaib, 30, is a simple guy who loves to play video games, and enjoys new cuisines sporadically. He has been gaming since he was 7 years old, and with an experience of 22 years, under his belt, there is not a single AAA game in this world, that he hasn’t played. Despite being a MBA Graduate he decided to follow his passion. And because of his love for gaming, Frondtech came into existence.