COD Black Ops Cold War runs quite smoothly for the most part but it looks like some players are experiencing some performance related issues here and there. It makes sense as not everyone is sitting with a powerful gaming PC. In fact, according to the latest Steam Hardware Survey done on September 2020 shows that most of the gamers are still using GTX 1060, GTX 1050 ti and GTX 1050. And these are all low-medium end graphics cards.
But this is what separates PC gaming from Console gaming. You don’t need overpriced hardware to play games as you can customize the in-game graphics settings of the game you want to play and then get the best performance out of it, even if you have a low end gaming rig.
Best Graphics Settings to fix low FPS in Black Ops Cold War
Tweaking in-game graphics or video settings not only gives you a smoother experience but also gets rid of performance issues like lag and random crashes. Same is the case with this title. Lets see if it is possible to make this game run for people with low end hardware by tweaking the in-game video or graphics settings.
- Display Mode : Fullscreen
- Refresh Rate : 144Hz (Depends on the refresh rate of your monitor)
- Menu V-Sync : Disabled
- Render Resolution : 100
- Display Resolution : 1920×1080
- Aspect Ratio : 16:9
- Colorblind Type : Disabled
- Field of View : 80
- ADS Field of View : Affected
- Framerate Limit : Custom
- Gameplay Custom Framerate Limit : 145 (Personal preference)
- Menu Custom Framerate Limit : 60
Details & Textures
- Texture Quality : Low
- Texture Filtering Quality : Low
- Model Quality : Medium
- Special Effects Quality : Low
- Screen Space Reflection : Low
- Object View Distance : Medium (Do not lower this any further)
Shadow & Lighting
- Volumetric Lighting : Low
- Shadow Quality : Medium
- Dynamic Shadows : Disabled
- Special Effect Shadows : Disabled
- Weapon Shadow : Enabled
Post Processing Effects
- NVIDIA Reflex Low Latency : Disabled (Don’t turn this on unless you have a 1660 or something better)
- Anti-Aliasing Quality : Lowest (FXAA)
- Ambient Occlusion Quality : Medium
- Motion Blur : Disabled
- Subsurface Scattering : Disabled
- Order Independent Transparency : Medium
- Display Gamma : Computer (sRGB)
- Display Adapter : Select your dedicated graphics card (Do not keep on Auto-select)
- CPU Priority Management : Manual
Specifications of our Test Rig
It is always recommended to run a game on a medium end gaming rig if you want to find out the best combination of graphics settings for the game. There is no point in running benchmarks on gaming rigs with high or enthusiast level graphics cards. Because lets be honest, every single game will run smoothly on a RTX 3080 or a RX 5700 XT.
Though the system requirements of Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War are slightly on the higher side, we still went ahead and ran it on a very basic and mediocre gaming PC. Here are the full specifications of our rig:
- CPU : Intel i5 9400F
- GPU : Zotac GTX 1060 6 GB
- RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz
- OS : Windows 10 64-bit (Latest Update)
- SSD : 256GB (Game not installed
- HDD : 1 TB 7200 rpm
- Monitor Resolution : 1920×1080
- Driver : GeForce Game Ready Driver v456.71
Utility used : MSI Afterburner
I was surprised to see how well the game ran on such a mediocre gaming PC. And the best part is, this game looks excellent even on low settings. Now a lot of you might say that GTX 1060 isn’t mediocre. But considering how the graphically intensive the recent AAA games have been, the GTX 1060 might actually end up being a low-end card in the next few months. And why would you even buy a high-end AAA title, that too a COD one, if you are not going to play it on at least a GTX 1060.
The frame rates were hovering over 75-80 most of time with drops to 65-70 at certain instances. I tried maps like Cartel, Miami and Moscow, etc. And the experience was smooth for the most part.
Though I am not done testing the game yet. I will post the complete results as soon as I am satisfied with the outcome.
If you think this guide had helped you then let us know in the comment section below. Also, you can check out the other Call of Duty : Black Ops Cold War guides on Frondtech. Good luck!
That’s all folks!
Last Updated on November 26, 2020
Shoaib, 30, is a simple guy who loves to play video games, and enjoys new cuisines sporadically. He has been gaming since he was 7 years old, and with an experience of 22 years, under his belt, there is not a single AAA game in this world, that he hasn’t played. Despite being a MBA Graduate he decided to follow his passion. And because of his love for gaming, Frondtech came into existence.