Returnal crashing PS5 – One of the most anticipated games of 2021, Returnal has finally arrived. The game is a PS5 exclusive, and it definitely looks like one. Returnal is a third-person shooter title set in a futuristic sci-fi setting.
Players get to control a space pilot called Selene. She is equipped with a suit and armed with high-tech weapons, who is stranded on the alien planet Atropos. The game looks wonderful and is definitely up to the standards of 2021.
Returnal is Crashing on the PS5 for a lot of users – How to fix
Unfortunately, not every PS5 owner who bought Returnal to enjoy this weekend, is having a good time. Believe it or not, the game is crashing for a lot of users. For some it is crashing at the end of cutscenes while for some a specific level is the reason behind the crashes. And most of them are getting the error CE-108255-1 after the crash.
I am already seeing a ton of comments regarding this on Reddit. The players are really unhappy. Listen to some of them. Reddit user /GR586 says:
Crashed 8 times for me, I stopped trying at this point, I’ll try again tomorrow. Game looks great so far it just needs to stop crashing.
Here is another one:
Crashes for me from time to time. Other games were rock solid for the most part, so I don’t think it’s hardware. So annoying. Crashes are not acceptable in this game. I already lost all progress after long exploration few times.
There are many similar comments on different forums as well. The strange thing is, the game is running completely fine for the majority of the PS5 users. This would have made sense among PC users, where the hardware is different for different users. But the PS5 is the same for everyone. Weird if you ask me.
How to fix the crashes
After doing some research, there is one thing I found out. Games that have Ray-tracing are more likely to crash than games that don’t. There is a huge Reddit post regarding this. Check it out.
Now, to fix the problem, there is one thing you can do. You can try rebuilding the database. Here is how to do it:
- Go ahead and turn off the console [there should be no lights on the console. Take out the power plug from the back of the console]
- Keep your PS5 unplugged for 5 minutes
- This would cause the cached data to clear out
- Now plug it back and press and hold the power button
- You will hear a beep sound when you press it. Do not release the button until you hear the second beep [takes around 10 seconds]
- Your console will be booted in Safe Mode.
- Now connect your controller to the USB port.
- Press the PS button on the controller.
- A list of options should appear on your screen
- Select option 5 or Rebuild Database
- Be patient and wait until the process is complete
This fix has already worked for a lot of people. If it doesn’t for you, then you can just try redownloading the game. Make sure that you don’t have pending updates on your PS5.
If these steps do not fix the issue for you then you might have to wait for a patch as it could very well be a problem from Housemarque’s end. Also, there are a lot of users discussing this exact same issue on this post.
That’s all folks!