Nier Replicant Stuttering and Freezing – It looks like players are constantly facing micro stuttering and freezing in Nier Replicant. Here is a guide consisting of various fixes that might help you solve the issue.
Nier Replicant – Stuttering and Freezing fix
Can your PC run Nier Replicant?
Is your gaming PC capable enough to run Nier Replicant smoothly? The first thing you need to check, before you go ahead and try the fixes below, is whether the specifications of your PC are somewhat identical to the system requirements of Nier Replicant or not. Here are the requirements:
|MINIMUM [60 FPS @ 1280×720]||RECOMMENDED [60 FPS @ 1920×1080]|
|OS||Windows® 10 64-bit||Windows® 10 64-bit|
|PROCESSOR||AMD Ryzen™ 3 1300X; Intel® Core™ i5-6400||AMD Ryzen™ 3 1300X; Intel® Core™ i5-6400|
|MEMORY||8 GB RAM||16 GB RAM|
|GRAPHICS||AMD Radeon™ R9 270X; NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960||AMD Radeon™ RX Vega 56; NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660|
|DIRECTX||Version 11||Version 11|
|STORAGE||25 GB available space||25 GB available space|
|SOUND CARD||DirectX Compatible Sound Card||DirectX Compatible Sound Card|
As you can see, you need a R9 270X to play the game at the lowest possible settings at 60 FPS. And don’t think that you would be able to play at 1080p resolution. 720p or probably 900p are your only options. To get 60 FPS on 1920×1080 resolution at high settings, you need a GTX 1660 or a RX Vega 56. And don’t forget 16 GB of RAM on top of that.
Disable Nvidia GFE in-game overlay
If you are using the Nvidia GeForce Experience application, then you most probably have Nvidia in-game overlay feature turned on. The GFE overlay offers a handful of features, and some of them are quite demanding. Especially Instant Replay. So disable it.
Just launch GFE, go to the Settings window and disable the in-game overlay feature.
Eliminate resource-hogging background applications and services
A lot of you might not have any idea, but there are many applications/Windows services that often tend to eat up a huge chunk of RAM without you knowing anything about it. As a result people start facing stutters and freezes in almost every game.
So check whether you have useless applications running in the background or not. You can also decide which applications you want to automatically start when you boot your system and prevent the useless ones from starting.
- Open Task Manager
- Click on the Startup tab
- Keep the applications that are important, Enabled
- Disable the rest
Disable Xbox Game Bar
It has been a while since Microsoft introduced the Xbox Game Bar feature on Windows 10. Sadly it still causes fps drops in some games. I am not sure if your stuttering in Nier Replicant has anything to do with the game bar or not, but it is better to keep it off. Here is how to do it:
- Open Windows 10 Settings menu
- Click on Gaming
- Select Xbox Game Bar from the left sidebar
- Turn it off
- Restart your game launcher
Nier Replicant – Nvidia Control Panel settings
The first thing you should do is click on ‘Adjust image settings with preview‘ located on the left side under 3D settings and make sure that ‘Use the advanced 3D image settings‘ is selected. Now:
- Open Nvidia Control Panel
- Click on Manage 3D settings on the left bar
- Click on the Program Settings tab
- Locate Nier Replicant from the drop-down menu under “Select a program to customize”
- If you don’t see the game on the list then click on the Add button and another list will appear
- If you still cannot spot the game then you need to add the .exe file manually.
- Click on Browse
- Locate the folder where you have installed the game
- Select the executable file or the .exe file
- Once you have successfully added the game, you will then see the program settings become available for the game
- Now tweak the following settings:
Threaded Optimization : On
Power Management : Prefer Maximum Performance
Low Latency Mode : Off
Texture filtering – Quality : Performance
Nier Replicant – AMD Control Panel settings
Right-click on your desktop and click on AMD Radeon Software. Click on the Gaming tab and click on Global Graphics. Set your Graphics Profile to “eSport”. Now tweak the following settings:
- Radeon Anti-Lag : Disabled
- Radeon Chill : Disabled
- Boost : Disabled
- Image Sharpening : Disabled
- Enhanced Sync : Disabled
- Vertical Refresh : Always Off
Now click on Advanced. Tweak the following settings:
- Anti-Aliasing : Use Application settings
- Anti-aliasing Method : Multi-sampling
- Morphological Anti-Aliasing : Disabled
- Anisotropic Filtering : Disabled
- Texture Filtering Quality : Performance
- Surface Format Optimization : Enabled
- Tessellation Mode : Override application settings
- Maximum Tessellation Level : Off
- OpenGL Triple Buffering : Disabled
- GPU Workload : Graphics
Now reset the Shader Cache by hitting Performance Reset at the bottom of the list.
Try Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling
If you have the latest build of Windows 10 (2004) then you should make use of the brand-new feature called hardware-accelerated gpu scheduling. If you have a decent graphics card then you might actually benefit from this. Here is how to turn it on:
- Go to Windows 10 settings
- Click on System
- Select the Display tab on the left
- Scroll down, and you will notice an option called Graphics Settings at the bottom
- Click on it
- Turn on Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling
Graphics performance preference
The Graphics Settings menu has another awesome feature that allows you to set a graphics performance preference for a particular app. Here is how to do it:
- Set “Choose an app to set preference” to Desktop app
- Click on browse
- Go the installation folder of Nier Replicant
- Select the .exe file or the executable
- Click on Options once the .exe file is added
- Choose High Performance
- Restart your PC
These are all the fixes we have for the performance issues in Nier Replicant at the moment. All the steps listed are basic steps and does not require you to take any advanced measures. Some of these steps or methods might work for you but nothing is guaranteed.
If you think that this guide has helped you then let us know in the comment section below. Also, try checking out our other guides on Nier Replicant. Who knows, you might end up finding a something you have been looking for.
That’s all folks!