Spellbreak lag fix – Spellbreak is a AAA Battle Royale title by Proletariat. It is a fantasy action-spellcasting game that allows players to fight to become all-powerful battle mages.
Instead of weapons and gear that you normally see in BR games, Spellbreak has magical gauntlets and other items and they enable you to weave spectacular spell combinations, craft strategic builds, and master your environment as you dominate the Hollow Lands solo or with friends in a non-stop quest for survival.
Now that you know what Spellbreak is all about, it is time to talk about the performance of the game on PC. Ever since the game launch players have been complaining about lag being present in the game. Now lag can be of two types, connection lag and fps lag. We are addressing both in this article.
How to fix Lag in Spellbreak
I have said it in my other Spellbreak guides and I will say it again. Make sure that your system is capable enough to handle the game. If it isn’t then there is no point trying the fixes below. What are Spellbreak’s recommended system specs you ask?
Processor: Intel Core i3 2.4 Ghz or equivalent
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 640 or Radeon R7 GPU
Processor: Intel Core i5 2.8 Ghz or equivalent
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 960 or Radeon R9 GPU
Clear the temporary junk files on your PC
If your temp folder has too many junk files then it will make your PC feel sluggish. As a result you game would also start lagging. So try cleaning your temp folder
- Go to the Start menu on your Desktop.
- Press the Windows key+R at the same time.
- Type in %TEMP% and press Enter.
- Select All (Edit > Select All or Ctrl+A).
- Click the Delete key.
Spellbreak – Best Graphics Settings
I am still testing different combination of graphics settings and will update this section as soon as I find a good combination. Here are specs of the test system:
- Processor : Ryzen 5 3600
- Graphics Card : GTX 1060
- RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz
- OS : Windows 10 64-bit (Version 2004)
- HDD : 1 TB 7200 rpm
- Monitor Resolution : 1920×1080 144hz
- Driver : Nvidia GeForce Game Ready Driver v452.06 [Release date : 08/17/2020]
Update : Click here to check out the complete graphics settings guide for Spellbreak.
Optimize the game via GeForce Experience (Nvidia Users)
If you are a Nvidia user and you have the GeForce Experience application installed on your system then use it to optimize the game for your PC. Here is how to do it:
- Launch GeForce Experience
- Click on Home
- Check if Spellbreak is appearing on the Games list
- If the game is not there then click on the Settings icon on the top-right corner
- Click on Games from the left sidebar
- Click on Add under Scan Location
- Select the drive where you have installed Spellbreak
- Hit the Scan button
- The game should now appear on the Games list
- Now go back to the Games list
- Select Spellbreak
- Click on the Optimize button
- Once the optimization is done click on Play
If you didn’t know, there is a new feature in Windows 10 called Captures. And what this feature does is, it enables background recording so you can capture your previous plays. The feature is a bit like Nvidia Shadowplay. Here is how to turn it off:
- Go to Windows Settings
- Click on Gaming
- Select Captures from the left
- Now turn off Background Recording
Disable the Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service (Advanced Method)
Note : This is an advanced method as it involves making changes to the Windows Registry. Do not try this unless you have proper knowledge.
A lot of Windows 10 users are complaining recently that a service called Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service or (sppsvc.exe) eating a lot of CPU and Memory. As a result they are facing stuttering issues an FPS drops in games.
So just open your Windows Task Manager and try to observe whether a process called Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service is appearing on the list or not. If it is then you need to temporarily pause it in order to prevent Spellbreak from lagging. Simply clicking ‘End Task’ on the process will do nothing as the process will be back again in few seconds. So here is what you need to do:
- Press Windows key+R on your keyboard
- Type “regedit” and press enter to bring up the Windows Registry Editor
- Now go to this location : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sppsvc
- On the right-side you will notice some options
- Double-click on Start and change its value to from 2 to 4
- Restart your PC
This will disable Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service but your won’t able to use other Microsoft Windows applications like Microsoft Word, Microsoft Powerpoint, etc. Also, you will get a message showing your windows is not activated on your desktop. When you are done playing the game, just change the value of Start back to 2. Everything will go back to normal.
Now there aren’t many fixes for connection lag out there. Most of the fixes that you will find would ask you to buy a premium service to fix the lag. But trust me, none of them work. There are mainly two reasons of connection lag in games:
- Under-performing Internet connection
- Under-performing in-game servers
The lag you are experiencing could be the result of any of these two issues. In order to check whether you are getting any ‘connection time out’ or not.
- Press Windows key+R on your keyboard
- Type ping google.com -t
Let the test run for a minute and keep on checking whether you are getting any “Request timed out”. If you are then the problem is with you internet connection.
For Netgear router users
Here is a fix suggested by a developer of Spellbreak himself for Netgear users. If you have a Netgear router and are having issues with crashes or staying connected in game, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows Key+R on your keyboard
- Type cmd and press enter
- Type ipconfig and press enter.
- Note the number from Default Gateway
- Now type the number in the URL bar of your Web browser and press enter
- Once you login to Netgear Genie, click on the Advanced tab.
- Under SETUP, click QoS Setup. Make sure Turn Internet Access QoS On is checked.
- Run a Speedtest. In the Turn Bandwidth Control On section, type your Upload Mbps in the box provided.
- On the right side of the screen, click on QoS by Device. Select your PC, then set priority to Highest. Click Apply at the top of the screen to apply these changes.
- Changes will take a few minutes to apply.
These are all the fixes we have for the lag in Spellbreak at the moment. Most of the steps listed are basic steps and they do not require you to take any advanced measures. Some of these steps or methods might work for you but nothing is guaranteed. We do have some other fixes in out other Spellbreak guides. So you can check them out if you want.
If these fixes don’t work for you then you can submit a ticket to the support or you can post your issue on the official Spellbreak Reddit page.
If you have additional questions, then you can always visit the official Discord server of Spellbreak.
Has this guide had helped you? Then let us know in the comment section below. Also, if you are facing other problems with the game then try checking out our other guides on Spellbreak. Who knows, you might end up finding a fix.
That’s all folks!
Last Updated on September 18, 2020
Shoaib, 30, is a simple guy who loves to play video games, and enjoys new cuisines sporadically. He has been gaming since he was 7 years old, and with an experience of 22 years, under his belt, there is not a single AAA game in this world, that he hasn’t played. Despite being a MBA Graduate he decided to follow his passion. And because of his love for gaming, Frondtech came into existence.