Fall Guys Lag Crashing Stuttering FPS drops fix – Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout is a MMO game by Devolver Digital. Players get to compete with up to 60 players online in a free-for-all struggle through round after round. It is heavily inspired by obstacle racing TV games like Takeshi’s Castle, Wipeout or Ninja Warrior, where 60 players have to overcome challenges and various obstacles without failing to grab the only crown and become the winner.
Judging from the fact that Fall Guys is one of those games that released without creating any hype, it managed to garner some decent amount of players and has been well received by the community. But, it is a multiplayer title and most of the multiplayer titles nowadays suffer from performance issues. As more and more players are joining Fall Guys, more and more problems are popping up. Players are complaining all over the forums.
Fall Guys Performance Guide – Fix lag, crashing, stuttering and fps drops
Fall Guys – System Requirements
|OS Architecture||Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system||Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system|
|OS||Windows 10 64bit only||Windows 10 64bit only|
|Processor||Intel Core i5 or AMD equivalent||Not specified|
|Memory||8 GB RAM||16 GB RAM|
|Graphics||NVIDIA GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7950||Not specified|
|Network||Broadband Internet connection||Broadband Internet connection|
|Storage||2 GB available space||2 GB available space|
|Additional Notes||Gamepad Recommended||Gamepad Recommended|
Make sure you have the latest Graphics Drivers installed
Though, neither Nvidia nor AMD has released drivers specifically optimized for Fall Guys It is wise to update your graphics drivers to the latest versions to avoid crashes and stutters. Here are the links:
Tweak the in-game settings
Check out our guide for the Fall Guys graphics settings. You would surely get comparatively better performance after applying those changes.
Upgrade your DirectX version
If Fall Guys is not launching for you, there is a chance that it is because you are running a DirectX version that is lower than DirectX 11.
How to check the DirectX version on your PC
Here is how to check the DirectX version that your OS is running:
- Press Ctrl+R or Windows key+R on your keyboard
- Type “dxdiag” and press Enter
- A dialog box will appear and at the bottom of the list your DirectX version will show up
How to download the latest DirectX version
- Go to the official Microsoft DirectX download page. Here is the link
- Choose language
- Now click on the download button
- Once the download is completed, open the “dxwebsetup.exe” file
- Follow the instructions
- Restart your PC
Use Game Mode (For Windows 10 users)
Game mode prevents Windows Update from performing driver installations and sending restart notifications and it also helps your system towards achieving more stable frame rates depending on the specific game and system.
How to turn on Game Mode
Here is how to turn on Game Mode:
- Press the Start button
- Click on Settings
- Select Gaming
- Now select Game Mode for the side bar
- Turn Game Mode On
Make sure you are using the latest .NET Framework version
Microsoft released a .NET Framework update for the Windows 10 users. The update is called:
- 2020-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64 (KB4537572)
Here is how to install the update
- Go to Settings
- Go to Update & Security
- Click on Check for updates
- Check the name of the update and install it
- Restart your PC
Increase the Priority of Fall Guys from the Task Manager
- Launch Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout via Steam
- Press Alt+Tab to minimize the game
- Open Task Manager
- Click on Details tab
- Search for the process of Fall Guys for the list
- Right click on the process and Set Priority to High
Tweak your Discord settings
This is something that we have experienced personally. On our personal gaming rig consisting of RTX 2060 Super, i5 8400, 16 GB 3000mhz RAM, Discord initially gave us a really tough time when we were regularly playing games like Destiny 2, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2019 and Apex Legends. Every time we used to start Discord, online games used to start lagging horribly.
So, it is recommended that you make few tweaks in order to stop Discord from reducing the performance of your system. Here is what you need to do:
- Launch Discord
- Go to User Settings
- Click on Voice & Video from the left sidebar
- Scroll down to Advanced section
- Disable “OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco System, Inc.”
- Disable “Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority”
- Click on Overlay from the sidebar
- Disable in-game overlay
- Click on Appearance from the left sidebar
- Scroll down all the way to the Advanced section
- Disable Hardware Acceleration
- Restart Discord
Optimize the game via GeForce Experience (Nvidia Users)
If you are a Nvidia user and you have the GeForce Experience application installed on your system then use it to optimize the game for your PC. Here is how to do it:
- Launch GeForce Experience
- Click on Home
- Check if Fall Guys is appearing on the Games list
- If the game is not there then click on the Settings icon on the top-right corner
- Click on Games from the left sidebar
- Click on Add under Scan Location
- Select the drive where you have installed Fall Guys
- Hit the Scan button
- The game should now appear on the Games list
- Now go back to the Games list
- Select Fall Guys
- Click on the Optimize button
- Once the optimization is done click on Play
Disable the Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service
[Note : This is an advanced method as it involves making changes to the Windows Registry. Do not try this unless you have proper knowledge.]
A lot of Windows 10 users are complaining recently that a service called Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service or (sppsvc.exe) eating a lot of CPU and Memory. As a result they are facing stuttering issues an FPS drops in games.
How to disable
So just open your Windows Task Manager and try to observe whether a process called Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service is appearing on the list or not. If it is then you need to temporarily pause it in order to prevent COD MW 2 from stuttering. Simply clicking ‘End Task’ on the process will do nothing as the process will be back again in few seconds. So here is what you need to do:
- Press Windows+R keys on your keyboard
- Type regedit and press enter to bring up the Windows Registry Editor
- Now go to this location : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sppsvc
- On the right-side you will notice some options
- Double-click on Start and change its value to from 2 to 4
- Restart your PC
This will disable Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service but your won’t able to use other Microsoft Windows applications like Microsoft Word, Microsoft Powerpoint, etc. Also, you will get a message showing your windows is not activated on your desktop. When you are done playing the game, just change the value of Start back to 2. Everything will go back to normal.
Those are all the fixes we have for Fall Guys at the moment. It is true that the game is not properly optimized at the moment but the developers are already aware of the issues and are working to fix them.
If you visit the Official Steam Discussions page of Fall Guys, then you will be surprised to see that how many players are actually experiencing these issues. With that being said we will keep on updating this article with the latest fixes.
If you think this guide had helped you then let us know in the comment section below. Also, If you are facing problems that are not mentioned on this article then also you can comment below. We will try come out with a fix. Good luck!
That’s all folks!
Last Updated on December 15, 2020
Shoaib, 30, is a simple guy who loves to play video games, and enjoys new cuisines sporadically. He has been gaming since he was 7 years old, and with an experience of 22 years, under his belt, there is not a single AAA game in this world, that he hasn’t played. Despite being a MBA Graduate he decided to follow his passion. And because of his love for gaming, Frondtech came into existence.