Cyberpunk 2077 crashing freezing – A lot of PC users are complaining that Cyberpunk 2077 is crashing and freezing constantly for them. This guide will show you how to fix those issues.
How to fix Crashes in Cyberpunk 2077
Cyberpunk 2077 is finally here. So far the game has had a phenomenal launch and you can easily tell that by looking at the reviews from the community and the reviewers.
But like every AAA title that launched in 2020, Cyberpunk also has it’s own set of issues. A lot of posts have started popping up on the cdprojektred forums. And most of these posts are about the bugs and errors that players are experiencing in the game at the moment. It looks like Cyberpunk is crashing for a lot of users who bought the game on Steam or Epic Games Launcher. Yes, players with really high end gaming rigs are not experiencing the crashes and freezes that frequently. But things are not the same for every player. People with low-medium end hardware are facing crashing issues constantly. If you are one of them, then here are some steps you can follow to fix those issues.
Before you move forward in this article, make sure that the hardware on your system is somewhat identical to the recommended requirements of Cyberpunk 2077. There is no point looking the minimum requirements because they will allow you to run the game at 1080p 30fps only, that too at the lowest possible settings. You can check out the system requirements from here.
Check your graphics card software and make sure it’s updated
- If you are using an Nvidia gpu, please use NVIDIA GeForce Experience to check that you are up to date with your drivers.
- If you are using an AMD gpu, please use RADEON Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition to check that you are up to date with your drivers.
File Verification Method
Every launcher nowadays offers ways to verify the game files of the games, which would repair the corrupted files that might be causing issues. Now the feature works in different ways in different launchers. Here is how to do it on Steam and EGL:
- Head over to your Steam Library
- Right click on Cyberpunk 2077
- Select Properties
- Click on the Local Files tab
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files
Epic Games Launcher
- Launch Epic Games Launcher
- Go to your Library
- Take your mouse pointer on Cyberpunk 2077
- Click on the Settings icon beside the Launch icon
- Click on Verify
- Restart the launcher after the process is completed
Avoid GPU overclocking to fix crashes
If by any chance you are witnessing random crashes in Cyberpunk 2077, then chances are it is being caused by an overclocking application or utility running in the background. A lot of games have been suffering from crashes lately due to applications like MSI Afterburner or Zotac firestorm. So it is best to stay on the safe side and run your graphics card on default speeds.
Uninstall the Windows 10 August update
Apparently, a lot of users started facing crashes and freezes after installing the August Update for Windows 10. This is happening to those who have installed the cumulative updates KB4566782 and KB4565351. In order to check whether you have these updates installed or not:
[Note : Avoid this step if your OS is running the latest update. Because Microsoft has already released an update to fix all the issues. If you do not have pending updates, it means you are running the latest build.]
- Open Windows Settings
- Click on Update & Security
- Now select Windows Update from the left side
- Scroll down and click on “View update history”
- Look under “Quality Updates”
- If you see one of the updates mentioned above on the list, you need to uninstall that
- Click on Uninstall updates, available on same window
- Find the update from the list
- Right click on it and select Uninstall
- Restart your PC after the process is completed
Install the latest Windows 10 Cumulative Update (KB4586876)
If you are a Windows 10 user then go ahead and check for new Windows updates. If you see an update that is called “2020-11 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64 (KB4586876)”. Then go ahead and install it. This update will not only update your .NET Framework but will also fix any issues with it.
Disable Steam Input for Cyberpunk 2077
I would recommend that you go and disable Steam Input for Cyberpunk. Here is how to do it:
- Launch Steam
- Go to you Library and right-click on Cyberpunk 2077
- Select Properties
- Select the General tab
- Now set “Steam Input Per-game settings” to “Forced Off”
- Also uncheck “Enable Steam Overlay while in-game”
- Restart Steam
But remember, if you are a controller user then you might face some issues after disabling Steam Input.
You can also try some of the fixes listed here. The fixes you will find are completely different than the ones listed here. And since both the issues are more or less similar, some steps mind end up working.
Re-install Cyberpunk (Only if nothing else works)
If none of the fixes mentioned above work for you then this is your last resort. Game installations go wrong all the time. A file might have gone corrupted during the installation process. And that might be the reason why the game is crashing for you. So do a fresh installation of the game once.
Before you go for the re-installation, make sure you empty your “Temp” folder.
- Go to the Start menu on your Desktop.
- Press the Windows key+R at the same time.
- Type in %TEMP% and press Enter.
- Select All (Edit > Select All or Ctrl+A).
- Click the Delete key
Wait for patches from CD PROJEKT RED
Yes Cyberpunk is a big title but lets not forget that it is still brand new. So bugs are glitches are understandable at the moment. CD PORJEKT RED probably has some of the best developers in the industry who are extremely efficient. So be patient and give them some time. I am pretty sure that they will be releasing a patch to fix the crashing issues pretty soon.
I would suggest that you take a look at the official Cyberpunk 2077 Forums. You will find a lot of players discussing about these exact same issues.
If you think this guide had helped you then let us know in the comment section below. And for more Cyberpunk guides, keep an eye on Frondtech. We will be covering every single technical issue and bug of the game. Good luck!
That’s all folks!