Chivalry 2 lag fps drops stuttering – It looks like players are constantly facing low frame rate issues and micro stutters in Chivalry 2. Here is a guide consisting of various fixes that might help you solve the issue.
How to fix Lag, FPS Drops and Stuttering in Chivalry 2
Can your PC run Chivalry 2?
Is your PC capable enough to run Chivalry 2 smoothly? The first thing you need to check, before you go ahead and try the fixes below, is whether the specifications of your PC are somewhat identical to the system requirements of Chivalry 2. Here are the requirements:
|#||MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS||RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS|
|OS||Windows 10 64-bit||Windows 10 64-bit|
|Processor||Intel i3-4370||Intel i7 6700 or AMD Ryzen 5 3500x|
|Graphics||Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB||Nvidia GTX 1070 or AMD RX Vega-56|
Chivalry 2 – Best Graphics Settings
I am still testing different combination of graphics settings and will update this section as soon as I find a good combination. Here are specs of the test system:
- Processor : Intel i3 9100F
- Graphics Card : GTX 1050 ti
- RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz
- OS : Windows 10 64-bit (Version 20H2)
- HDD : 1 TB 7200 rpm
- Monitor Resolution : 1920×1080 144hz
- Driver : Nvidia GeForce Game Ready Driver v466.63 [Release date : 06/03/2021]
If you need a good combination of settings immediately. Then you can go and check out Santiago Santiago’s Chivalry 2 beta performance video:
Clear the temporary junk files on your PC
If your temp folder has too many junk files then it will make your PC feel sluggish. As a result, you game would also start lagging. So try cleaning your temp folder
- Go to the Start menu on your Desktop
- Press the Windows key+R at the same time
- Type in %TEMP% and press Enter
- Select All (Edit > Select All or Ctrl+A)
- Click the Delete key
If you didn’t know, there is a new feature in Windows 10 called Captures. And what this feature does is, it enables background recording, so you can capture your previous plays. The feature is a bit like Nvidia Shadowplay. Here is how to turn it off:
- Go to Windows Settings
- Click on Gaming
- Select Captures from the left
- Now turn off Background Recording
Overlays and Notifications
If you are playing Chivalry 2 from Epic Game Launcher, just go to the settings menu of Epic Games Launcher. Scroll down to the “Desktop Notifications” section and uncheck the boxes beside “Show Free Game Notifications” and “Show News and Special Offer Notifications”.
If you have other overlays, like from Nvidia GeForce Experience or AMD Adrenaline, try turning them off as well.
Chivalry 2 – Nvidia Control Panel settings
The first thing you should do is click on ‘Adjust image settings with preview‘ located on the left side under 3D settings and make sure that ‘Use the advanced 3D image settings‘ is selected. Now:
- Open Nvidia Control Panel
- Click on Manage 3D settings on the left bar
- Click on the Program Settings tab
- Locate Chivalry 2 from the drop-down menu under “Select a program to customize”
- If you don’t see the game on the list then click on the Add button and another list will appear
- If you still cannot spot the game, then you need to add the .exe file manually.
- Click on Browse
- Locate the folder where you have installed the game
- Select the executable file or the .exe file, which in this case should be chivalry2.exe
- Once you have successfully added the game, you will then see the program settings become available for the game
- Now tweak the following settings:
Threaded Optimization : On
Power Management : Prefer Maximum Performance
Low Latency Mode : Off
Texture filtering – Quality : Performance
Chivalry 2 – AMD Control Panel settings
Right-click on your desktop and click on AMD Radeon Software. Click on the Gaming tab and click on Global Graphics. Set your Graphics Profile to “Custom”. Now tweak the following settings:
- Radeon Anti-Lag : Disabled
- Radeon Chill : Disabled
- Boost : Disabled
- Image Sharpening : Disabled
- Radeon Enhanced Sync : Disabled
- Wait for Vertical Refresh : Always Off
Now click on Advanced. Tweak the following settings:
- Anti-Aliasing : Use Application settings
- Anti-aliasing Method : Multi-sampling
- Morphological Anti-Aliasing : Disabled
- Anisotropic Filtering : Disabled
- Texture Filtering Quality : Performance
- Surface Format Optimization : Enabled
- Tessellation Mode : Override application settings
- Maximum Tessellation Level : Off
- OpenGL Triple Buffering : Disabled
- 10-Bit Pixel Format : Disabled
- GPU Workload : Graphics
Now reset the Shader Cache by hitting Performance Reset at the bottom of the list.
Eliminate resource-hogging background applications and services
Check whether you have useless applications running in the background or not. You can also decide which applications you want to automatically start when you boot your system and prevent the useless ones from starting.
- Open Task Manager
- Click on the Startup tab
- Keep the applications that are important, Enabled
- Disable the rest
Other than these, you can try re-installing Chivalry 2 completely on a different drive.
If the problem you are facing is a serious one, then go here and submit a ticket to the Chivalry 2 support.
That’s all folks!
Last Updated on June 8, 2021
Shoaib, 29, is a simple guy who loves to play video games, and enjoy new cuisines sporadically. He has been gaming since he was 7 years old, and with an experience of 22 years, under his belt, there is not a single AAA game in this world, that he hasn’t played. Despite being a MBA Graduate he decided to follow his passion. And because of his love for gaming, Frondtech came into existence.