Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered stuttering fps drop crashing lag fix – Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered is the HD remake of the original COD MW 2 that was released in 2009. The Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2 Campaign has been fully remastered with improved textures, animations, physically based rendering, high-dynamic range lighting, and much more.
Experience classic missions including Cliffhanger, The Gulag, and Whiskey Hotel as you join Soap, Price, ‘Ghost’ and the rest of Task Force 141 in the globe-spanning fight to restore order to the world.
Now that the basic summary about the game is out of the way, lets talk about how to game performs. While players who are using powerful gaming rigs are not facing as many issues, low-medium end users are experiencing some good amount of problems. That is why we decided to come up with a basic lag fix guide that will show you some simple tweaks that you can try in order to fix the performance issues that you are having. Here is how to fix stuttering, fps drops, crashes and lag in COD MW 2 Campaign Remastered:
Call of Duty (COD) Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered – Fix stuttering, fps drops, crashing and lag
Check the system requirements of the game
Just like the recent COD titles, Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered is also a fairly heavy game. So make sure that your hardware specifications are somewhat similar to the system requirements of the game.
- Operating System : Windows 7 64-Bit (SP1), Windows 8 64-Bit or Windows 10 64-Bit
- Processor : Intel Core i3-4340 or AMD FX-6300
- Video : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670 / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 or AMD Radeon™ HD 7950 – DirectX 11.0 compatible system
- Memory : 8GB RAM
- Storage : 80GB
- Internet : Broadband Internet connection
- Operating System : Windows® 10 64-bit latest update
- Processor : Intel® Core™ i5-2500K or AMD Ryzen™ R5 1600X Processor
- Video : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970 / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 or AMD Radeon™ R9 390 / AMD Radeon™ RX 580 – DirectX 11.0 compatible system
- Memory : 12 GB RAM
- Storage : 80 GB available hard drive space
- Internet : Broadband Internet connection
Update the drivers of your Graphics Card
Nvidia has already released a driver optimized for Call of Duty Mordern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered. It is the GeForce Game Ready Driver v445.87. You can download it from here.
You can also download the driver directly from your Geforce Experience application.
If you are a Radeon user then you can download the latest graphics driver from here.
COD Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered Best Graphics Settings
We are still fiddling with the graphics settings in order to find out the best combination, that would allow low and medium end users to play the game at respectable frame rates without losing much visual quality. We will update this article once we are done.
Here are the specifications of our test rig:
- CPU : Intel i3 8100
- GPU : MSI GTX 1050 ti 4 GB
- RAM : 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
- HDD : 1 TB 7200 rpm
- Monitor Resolution : 1920×1080 144hz
We are trying to take the fps around 55-60. Since this is not a PvP game, you do not need 100+ fps to play this properly.
Scan and repair the game
Battle.net launcher users have the feature to scan and repair a game available on the launcher. Same goes with Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered. This feature will verify the in-game files of the game and download the missing ones. Here is how to do it:
- Launch the Battle.net application
- Select Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered from the left side bar
- Click on Options
- Select Scan and Repair
- Wait for the process to be done
- Restart the launcher
Nvidia Control Panel Settings for COD MW 2 Campaign Remastered
- Right Click on your desktop and click on Nvidia Control Panel to launch it
- Click on ‘Adjust image settings with preview‘ located on the left side under 3D settings
- Make sure that ‘Use the advanced 3D image settings‘ is selected
- Click on Manage 3D settings on the left bar
- Click on Global Settings
- Now tweak the following settings:
Texture filtering – Quality : Performance
Image Sharpening : Off
Threaded Optimization : On
Power Management : Prefer Maximum Performance
Low Latency Mode : Off
AMD Adrenaline settings for COD MW 2 Campaign Remastered
Click on Global Graphics.
- Radeon Anti-Lag : Disabled
- Radeon Boost : Disabled
- Image Sharpening : Off
- Anti-Aliasing Mode : Use Application settings
- Anti-aliasing Method : Multi-sampling
- Morphological Filtering : Off
- Anisotropic Filtering : Disabled
- Texture Filtering Quality: Performance
- Surface Format Optimization: Enabled
- Tesselation Mode: AMD Optimized
- Wait for V-sync: Off
- OpenGL Triple Buffering: Off
- Shader Cache: AMD optimized
- Maximum Tesselation Level: Off
- GPU Workload: Graphics
- Radeon Chill: Off
- Frame Rate Target Control: Disabled
Disable the Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service (Advanced Method)
Note : This is an advanced method as it involves making changes to the Windows Registry. Do not try this unless you have proper knowledge.
A lot of Windows 10 users are complaining recently that a service called Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service or (sppsvc.exe) eating a lot of CPU and Memory. As a result they are facing stuttering issues an FPS drops in games.
So just open your Windows Task Manager and try to observe whether a process called Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service is appearing on the list or not. If it is then you need to temporarily pause it in order to prevent COD MW 2 from stuttering. Simply clicking ‘End Task’ on the process will do nothing as the process will be back again in few seconds. So here is what you need to do:
- Press Windows+R keys on your keyboard
- Type regedit and press enter to bring up the Windows Registry Editor
- Now go to this location : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sppsvc
- On the right-side you will notice some options
- Double-click on Start and change its value to from 2 to 4
- Restart your PC
This will disable Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service but your won’t able to use other Microsoft Windows applications like Microsoft Word, Microsoft Powerpoint, etc. Also, you will get a message showing your windows is not activated on your desktop. When you are done playing the game, just change the value of Start back to 2. Everything will go back to normal.
Avoid Overclocking applications and utilities
If by any chance you are witnessing random crashes and freezes in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered then chances are it is being caused by an overclocking application or utility running in the background. A lot of games have been suffering from crashes lately due to applications like MSI Afterburner or Zotac firestorm. So it is best to stay on the safe side and run your graphics card on default speeds.
Let me make one thing clear, none of these methods are advanced and are pretty basic. There is no guarantee that these steps will fix your problem 100%. If the problem you are facing is a serious one then the best option would be contacting the support.
With that being said, if you think this guide had helped you then let us know in the comment section below. Also, If you are facing problems that are not mentioned on this article then also you can comment below. We will try come out with a fix. Good luck!
That’s all folks!